Hello Fashionistas 🙂
Today’s topic is Monochromatic Outfits, a trend that has become so popular amongst World Fashion Bloggers and Designers over the past few years.
So what a Monochromatic Outfit in fashion terms means? It means wearing separate pieces of one single colour or various shades of one colour, from head-to-toe. Now, many of you might think that this is very boring and those who choose to go with it have lack of imagination but believe me, it is the exact opposite. In fact, choosing a single colour may be as striking as wearing a bright vivid colour or a bold pattern.
Before I go on with how you can achieve a stylish Monochromatic look, I want to share with you the advantages of this specific trend because there are quite a lot of perks when adopting this look.
– The first and most important advantage of choosing one colour is that not only you can create a clean and simple look, but it also elongates your shape, meaning that it will immediately make you appear slimmer and taller than what you are. Now this is a major bonus, don’t you think so?
– The 2nd advantage is that you can make savings on your shopping by combining older pieces of your wardrobe with new ones, creating various and different looks. You can wear your clothes year after year, without worrying about buying new clothes every year, meaning that it can be cost-effective.
– This type of outfit, does not require following the new trends as it is based on your personal style and preferences on colour so for those who do not follow fashion this is something they should pay attention to. You can still be trendy and stunning without being a ‘fashion freak’.
– Monochromatic outfits are also perfect when you want to show off a specific item, like a handbag, a necklace, a set of earrings, or a pair of shoes. So if you have recently bought a garment that is stunning and you want to show it to the world, then choose a head-to-toe one coloured outfit.
Now that you know that there are multiple benefits with Monochromatic dressing, there are some simple steps in order to achieve it so if you want to adopt the look just read the style tips below.
1. As I have said previously, monochromatic can also mean wearing different shades of the same colour. So you don’t have to panic if you don’t find a vest lets say, the exact same colour as your waistcoat. If you are going with blue, then you can choose a lighter or a darker shade of blue.Match lighter shades on top with darker on bottom, or vice versa, depending on your body shape and what aspects of your body you want to emphasise on.
2. Choosing the right colour is the most critical part. Choose a colour that suits your skin well, because if you have a pale skin like I do, then going with nudes will just make you look more pale unless you go with bold makeup (dark eyes, more blush than usual, and bright lipstick). However, white and neutral colours can create a bold statement so I would advice you to go for them for your night outs and wear a statement necklace or a striking lipstick. Any size and body shape can pull of a monochromatic look as long as you choose the right colour for you.
3. Black, grey and dark head-to-toe outfits can become boring and dull, unless you play with textures as I have referred to in my previous post (And all that Black). So in order to keep your look interesting, don’t forget Mixing & Matching. With a monochromatic look, you have endless possibilities of mixing materials, textures, fabrics and shapes to make your outfit dimensional and sharp. This is the perfect time for you to play with your garments, mixing leather with jeans and silk, or fur with knit and jersey or mixing oversized tops with skinnier bottoms, or even lighter patterns on the bottom and bold ones on top. This always depends on what part of your body you want to show off. Experimenting, is the best way to create the perfect monochromatic outfit.
4. Never forget to keep the shapes; if you choose an oversized top then go for skinnier bottom. A total oversized look was never flattering to the woman’s figure so make sure you always keep a balance between shapes and sizes. Always aim for separates, to create an uninterrupted visual line.
I went with blue as it is a colour I absolutely love and believe that complements me well. Apart from this, it is a timeless colour that you can easily find different shades of it throughout the seasons. In the first photos I am wearing a Gerry Weber wool waistcoat, a Taifun cotton shirt, dark blue ripped jeans and I am holding a Versace Jeans handbag from the FW15 collection, while in the next photos, I chose to mix my ripped jeans with an oversized Rialbanni jumper that has a bit of shine, and a Silvian Heach fur waistcoat. And of course, let’s not forget the Adidas Superstars in Black & White that keep my outfits casual and brighten up the whole outfit.
Tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #thequeensclosetbyg to show me your monochromatic outfits.
Peace & Love,